Many new pair of shoes causes shoe bites which is responsible for lots of pain and irritation. It takes away the fun of having a new pair of sandals or shoes. Ill-fitting or tight shoes rub against the back of your ankle skin. It causes soreness and fluid filled blister.
When ignored, shoe bite can cause peeling of skin in your feet exposing red skin and bleeding. You will find it hard to wear another shoe, sandals or flip flops. The worst part of this uncomfortable skin condition is that – it flare-up constantly.
This unwanted friction between shoe rim (top) and ankle skin eventually turns into bleeding, foot pain, irritation, pain and swelling.
While your feet may get used to the biting shoe overtime, but it will keep happening over and over. Ill-fitting is not always the culprit behind your discomfort. Many times the material or the leather used in making the shoe can cause the bites.
Women are more affected by shoe bites as compared to men, because they wear high, narrow and tight heels, sandals and shoes. It often leads to scars and marks which does not go away on its own. Such bite marks may take several weeks before it vanishes.
You can always use over the counter ointment for those nasty bites, however, try using some soothing natural home remedies to reduce skin burning, flareups, pain and irritation caused by a shoe bite.
Here are 15 most effective home remedies for shoe bites.
1. Stop Using the Shoe Which is Causing You the Bites
The first step in healing a shoe bite is avoiding the shoe that caused the problem. You can either replace it with a bigger size or return it for good. Many people continue to wear the same footwear which is causing them the condition in the first place. Simple trick is to avoid it until you heal your shoe bite naturally.
To speed up the healing process, you can apply over the counter cooling creams to soothe the soreness. Use some antiseptic cream to prevent the wound from infection. It will also help cleanse the infection and help you treat shoe bites quickly.
2. Aloe Vera
The cooling properties of aloe vera will soothe shoe bites and help cure common symptoms such as pain, inflammation and irritation of skin. It has antibacterial, anti inflammatory and antiseptic properties that help heal skin faster.
The gel extracted from the leaf of aloe vera contains some cooling enzymes that prevent the bite from becoming a big blister.
- For quick pain releif, apply cold aloe vera gel on affected area.
- Keep it on for 10 minutes then rinse with cold water.
- Alternatively, mix 10 drops of olive oil with one tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Apply a thick layer on sore and let it get dry naturally.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times in a day to heal shoe bite fast.
3. Ice Cubes
Ice cubes offer instant pain relief and reduce bleeding caused from a shoe bite. It calms down the feet nerves that can increase the healing speed. Ice cubes are also used to manage diabetic charcot foot pain. Rubbing ice cubes also lightens shoe bite scars.
- Wrap few ice cubes in clean cloth and place it over affected area.
- Alternatively, you can use ice cubes directly on sore skin.
- Keep it on until the ice melts down.
- Repeat this remedy several times in a day.
Honey is one of the best remedies for shoe bites. Its antibacterial, moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties will help heal a show bite quickly.
People have been using honey on open and sore wounds for its healing abilities. Topical applications can decrease bruising, irritation, reduce inflammation and pain.
- You will need raw-organic honey and coconut oil.
- Take one tablespoon of organic honey and mix 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Soak a cotton swab in this solution and put it over bite marks.
- Allow it to heal the wound for 30 minutes.
- Then rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat this home remedy 2 times in day.
5. Olive Essential Oil
Nourishing skin is one of the most important property of olive oil. It is an amazing source of vitamin E and healing minerals that can help cure shoe bites naturally. Regular uses of this essential oil not only treat shoe bites but also clears the scar caused by rubbing of skin.
You can use olive oil to reduce burning sensation around the back of your ankle caused from friction between your skin and footwear. It also promotes regeneration of dead skin cells.
- Apply pure virgin olive oil on affected area three times in a day.
- Alternatively, mix equal amount of olive oil and almond oil.
- Massage your feet and affected area with this oil blend.
- Use it two times in a day to heal faster.
6. Coconut Essential Oil
Coconut oil is a good remedy to get rid of shoe bite scar. It contains an active compound called “Lauric Acid” which help treat blisters caused by shoe bite. People even put coconut oil in coffee to enjoy its benefits. Medium-chain fatty acids of coconut oil will prevent your skin from scaring and help you prevent footwear bite marks.
- Mix one tablespoon of virgin coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of almond oil.
- Soak a cotton ball in this blend and put it one affected area.
- Dab the cotton ball on your blisters and sore few times.
- Allow the oil blend to heal your sores for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- This remedy will help you reduce pain caused by footwear bite.
7. Petroleum Jelly
Many time untreated shoe bites cause hardened skin around the back of your ankle. Applying common petroleum jelly help soften that skin and help you get rid of show bite scars. These waterproof jelly also protect your wound from infection.
- First of all wash your feet in lukewarm water before going to bed.
- Allow it to get dry naturally under a ceiling fan.
- Apply petroleum jelly on affected skin.
- Wear soft socks and make sure you don’t stain the bed.
- Keep it overnight and rinse with lukewarm water in the morning.
- This cure will help reduce spots and marks.
- Use this remedy for several days until you cure shoe bite spots.
8. Rice Flour
Rice flour is an effective home remedy to get rid of scars and pain caused by shoe bites. Its exfoliating properties will remove hard dead skin cells and promote generation of new cells. Scrubs made with rice flour will reduce itching, irritationg and take away the excruciating pain caused by footwear bite.
- Take 2 tablespoon of rice flour and mix liberal amount of rosewater to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on show bites spots.
- Let it get dry naturally for several minutes (20 minutes).
- Wash your feet with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Repeat this remedy for several days util it fades away the dark skin.
9. Turmeric Paste
Turmeric is another effective shoe bites remedy to try out. It has anti-inflammatory properties which will be beneficial for treating swollen feet and ankles caused by shoe bites. Turmeric is natural antiseptic and has antibacterial properties which protect your skin from infection.
From centuries this yellow spice is being used as ointment for open wounds. It may burn initially but the discomfort will go away naturally.
- Mix liberal amount of water in one tablespoon of turmeric powder to make a thick paste.
- Apply a thick layer on affected area.
- Leave it for 15 minutes then rinse with cold water.
- Alternatively, mix 5 drops of olive oil in this paste.
- Apply it on sore and cover it with cotton swab.
- Keep it on for 1 hour and repeat this remedy 3 times in a day.
- It will speed up healing of shooe bites and help you get rid of scars.
10. Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol can help you treat shoe bites due its antiseptic properties. It can provide instant relief from pain and irritation caused by peeling of skin. Thanks to its antibacterial properties, rubbing alcohol will protect your wound from infection and help you heal faster.
- First of all, wash your feet with water.
- Soak a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol.
- Apply it directly on affected area and leave it on.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times in day.
- Do this for several days until your condition improves.
Topical use of toothpaste is another good remedy for shoe bites. Many people suffer from sores or blister from shoe bite. Toothpaste can effectively dry out a blister and drain fluids. It help in speedy recovery and prevent scaring of skin.
The baking soda, menthol and hydrogen peroxide present in toothpaste can reduce itching and inflammation of skin.
- First of all wash your infection or blister with water.
- Apply a thin layer of white toothpaste on affected area.
- Allow it to get dry naturally.
- Wash the area with lukewarm water and apply some herbal moisturizer.
- If you don’t have antiseptic moisturizer then use petroleum jelly.
- Repeat this remedy 2 times in a day until your pain is gone.
12. Indian Lilac
Also known as neem, an herbal tree that can help you cure shoe bites at home. From centuries the leaves of Indian lilac is considered to be most effective natural antiseptic for open wounds. It can heal peeing of skin caused by shoe bite and provide relief from pain.
- In one cup of boiling water add handful of neem leaves.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and collect the water and leaves in separate bowl.
- Use this neem water to rinse the infection.
- Crush those boiled leave to make a thick paste.
- Use it as a herbal cream for shoe bite and apply a thick layer.
- Keep it on for 30 minutes then wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat this home remedy daily until you heal shoe bites completely.
Lemon is one of the best home remedy for shoe bites. Thanks to its antiseptic properties, it can help open wounds faster and prevent them from getting infected from bacteria or fungi. During winter it is widely used with rosewater to soothe cracked heels.
The anti-inflammatory property of lemon will treat blister caused by shoe bites. It dries out the top layer of blister and burst open them to drain out fluids and pus. Regular uses of this remedy will help get relief from pain, swelling, redness and irritation.
- Take 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of organic honey.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution.
- Put it on affected area and seal it with a duct tape.
- Keep it on for 30 minutes then wash your feet with cold water.
- It relieves pain and help you get rid of all the discomfort caused by peeled skin.
14. Almond Oil
Almond oil can do wonders in treating shoe bite induced pain and scars. This essential oil is effective in preventing infection and keeping your skin acne free due to its high amount of vitamin A. Topical use of this essential oil will protect your irritated skin help you get relief from pain caused due to shoe bite.
Almond oil is great for your skin because of its high amount of monounsaturated fatty acid called oleic acid. Not just good for skin, but a diet with good omega-6 oil is healthy for heart and lowers high blood pressure.
- Apply few drops of almond oil on scars and sores.
- Leave it on and don’t remove it.
- Alternatively, mix equal amount of almond, olive and coconut oil.
- Soak a cotton ball in this essential oil blend and put it on shoe bitten skin.
- Leave it on for 1 hour then rinse the area with lukewarm water.
Aspirin is not a natural substance but you can definitely find them in your first aid box. It has high anti-inflammatory properties that help treat shoe bites and its common symptoms such as swelling, pain, irritation and itching.
You don’t have to swallow aspiring pills, but topical application of this common drug can be helpful in treating shoe bite scars and blisters.
- Crush two aspirin pills into powder form.
- Add liberal amount of water to make thick paste.
- Apply the paste on affected area and keep it on for 1-2 hours.
- It will dry out the sore and blister.
- Rinse the wound with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Apply some skin moisturizer.
- Use this remedy once in day until you condition improves.
Some of the above mentioned remedies are naturally antiseptic which is good for treating infected shoe bites. Your walk will get better as your wound will heal. Make sure not to wear tight footwear to prevent shoe bite. Eat skin friendly foods such as olive oil, avocado, banana, and coconut oil to protect your skin from environmental damages. Avoid buying footwear online because they might not fit you. These home remedies for shoe bites will lessen the pain and soothes irritated skin. They are also effective in helping you get rid of show bite scars and spots.