Have you ever woke up with ant bites on your eyelid or on your arms? then your first thought would be how i can get rid of these small red ant bites. It is easy to imagine that these bite marks will go away on its own. However, it can take time up-to 5-7 days before you can feel your skin again. Home remedies for ant bites are effective in reducing the amount of acid ants have left under your skin after stings.
Fire ant bites are worst as they can cause redness, acute inflammation, burning sensation under the skin and itching. People even complain about itching of skin caused due to small red ant bites. These red insects have formic acid which activates the histamine (responsible for swelling) of our body.
Myrmecine ants like fire ants have specific venom-injecting sting which injects an alkaloid poison. It can cause severe pain and irritation. Symptoms also includes itching and formation of red circles. Home remedies for ant bites can control the effect of these venom and minimize the symptoms.
Home Remedies For Ant Bites and Stings
Ingredients used in these home remedies for ant bites are all natural and have possibly no side-effects. However, make sure to do a patch test on your arm before applying them on your ant stings. People with sensitive skin should take precaution while using any homemade ointment for ant bites as remedy. These herbs can irritate the skin, hence make sure that you are not allergic to them before using them.
1. Lemon Juice To Treat Ant Bites
Lemon juice is very effective home remedy to counter swelling caused due to ant stings. It is mildly acidic and antimicrobial in nature which help minimize the symptoms of fire ant bites. They inject alkaloid in your skin through their sting. Lemon juice neutralize that effect and forms a common salt which reduces swelling and itching.
- In a clean bowl squeeze out juice from a lemon.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and dab it on affected area.
- Rub it gently on the ant sting bumps for 1 minute in circular motion.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes then rinse with water.
- Use this remedy several times in a day to get rid of ant bites fast.
2. Cold Compress
Using Ice as Home Remedies for Ant Bites is very effective in reducing the swelling. It help control the irritation and manage to reduce itching of skin. Coolness can relieve ant bites symptoms and may help you prevent allergic reaction. Cold compress circulate blood flow and provide sufficient oxygen to the area where sting is stuck under your skin.
- Soak a cotton cloth in cold water and wring out excessive water.
- Apply it over affected area and keep it on for 3-5 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can use ice cubes instead of cloth.
- Repeat this process several times in a day to get rid of fire ant bites quickly.
- You can mix vinegar in cold water to speed up the healing process.
3. Cucumber Slice To Treat Ant Bites At Home
Cucumber is watery fruit rich in natural alkalizing minerals which may help you treat ant bites. Many anti-inflammatory natural drugs and cream contains cucumber traces. It help rejuvenate the skin cells and prevent excessive swelling.
- Peel one cucumber and soak it inside cold water for 15 minutes.
- Cut thick slices and rub it on bumps caused due to ant stings.
- After rubbing it for 3-5 minutes allow it to sit there for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times in day until your condition improves.
4. Use Natural Hydrocortisone Cream for Ant Bites
Hydrocortisone creams falls under the cortisone drugs which is beneficial for reducing skin irritation and itching caused due to insect bites. Most ant bites causes imbalance of hormone levels in that skin area and applying such ointments can help you manage the symptoms.
How to make Hydrocortisone Cream at home:
- Take one empty bowl and add 5 tablespoon of cold water.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of ground coffee, 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract and 1 tablespoon of licorice root powder.
- After mixing them together put them in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Now apply this herbal cream on ant bites to get rid of its symptoms.
- Use this remedy several times in a day to speed up the healing process.
5. Aloe Vera To Soothe Ant Bites
Topical use of aleo vera gel has a long history of treating skin ailments such as eczema on hand, insect bites, inflammation and redness of skin. Aloe vera has soothing properties which makes it a perfect ant bites home treatment.
It is easily absorbed by our skin and neutralize the acidic nature. People have sworn that aloe vera is the perfect herbal remedy for skin irritation and itching. According to one study, it is natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent. Hence, you can safely use it to relieve the pain caused from fire ant bites.
- Pluck one baby aleo vera leaf and put it inside refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Now cut it open and collect the get in a clean bowl.
- Apply this cold gel on affected area.
- Keep it on for half hour then rinse with water.
- Use this remedy for several days.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is another effective home remedy to treat ant bites and sting on your skin. It will reduce the acid levels under your skin and provide relief from pain. Topical applications of baking soda also causes bleaching effect which will eliminate any pathogens which got stuck on your skin from ant sting.
People also use it for healing bumps on tongue, acne, pimple, warts and Lichen Planus.
- Take one tablespoon of baking soda and mix 2 tablespoon of water.
- Add 5 drops of white vinegar.
- Apply a thick layer on itchy skin area.
- Leave it on until the baking soda is dry.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Use this remedy several times in day to heal ant bite naturally.
Honey is potent anti-inflammatory ingredient that help cure ant bites at home. It has soothing effect on irritated skin and reduces burning sensation caused due to ant venom. Using honey as ointment for ant bites will help you ease the pain and provide relief from other discomforts.
If you are wondering that, will honey treat fire ant bites? then be assured that honey will help you with this condition also. It is proven antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent which soothe itching and prevent skin from bacterial outbreak.
- Soak a cotton ball in warm honey.
- Apply it directly on inflamed and red skin.
- Cover it with a duct tape and keep the bandage for one hour.
- Repeat this remedy 3-4 times in a day to treat ant bite at home.
- It will also soothe redness and can be used to heal other skin infections.
8. Herbal Tea
Herbal tea is a popular home remedy for ant bite because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Topical use of herbal tea has soothing effect on red skin caused due to ant bite. Drinking herbal tea will also help you boost healing process by stimulating immune system and flushing out free radicals from our body.
- Prepare your self one cup of herbal tea.
- Allow the temperature to fall up-to room temperature.
- Use this solution to rinse the affected area.
- You can also keep the herbal tea bag on swollen skin for 10 minutes.
- Use this effective home remedy twice in one day.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar / White Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent which help you treat ant bites at home. It is one of the best natural treatment for flying ant bites because of its ability to stimulate the histamine. Some studies have show that apple cider vinegar is effective in managing antihistamine which is responsible for reducing inflammation.
On the other hand, white vinegar is also one of the best way to get rid of ant bite marks. It cleanse the affected area and minimize the chance of infection. People have been using white vinegar on wounds as natural disinfectant. Ayurvedic medicines have also used aloe vera for treating chronic skin conditions such as Hidradenitis Suppurativa ( lumps under armpit).
- Pick any one of the vinegar.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar in one glass of water.
- Rinse the affected area with this solution.
- Alternatively, apply raw and unfiltered ACV on swelling.
- Keep it on for several hours then repeat it twice in one day.
- Use this simple home remedy daily.
10. Clay to Relieve Ant Bites Pain and Swelling
Clay has a soothing effect on irritated and inflamed skin caused by ant bites. Both fire ant and small red ants can cause acute itching and burning sensation after they sting you. Topical use of clay can shrink the bite bumps and help you get relief from pain.
Clay is another effective home remedy for ant bites that can help you eliminate discomfort. Mud-masking has been used from centuries to fight back loosening of skin. It can tighten skin and allow less scope for the reaction. Many cultures have show use of clay to provide relief from stress hives. You can buy them from any beauty store or simply dug it out from your backyard.
- Just mix clay and water to make a semi-thick paste.
- Apply it all over the surrounding of bite mark.
- As the clay will get dry, it will provide relief from itchiness and pain.
- Keep it on until it get dry completely.
- Repeat this several times in a day until you get rid of all the discomforts.
Symptoms of Small Red Ant Bite
Most people get bitten by red ant stings. It is not poisons but contains formic acid which can cause some damage to your skin.
- Inflammation of skin around ant bite marks.
- Redness and feeling of constant itching.
- Painful skin bumps that don’t go away quickly.
- Small red dot at the point of stings.
- Irritation and sensation of burning under the skin.
Allergic Reaction to (Fire) Ant Bites
Allergic reaction can only cause when you have been bitten by fire ants. The venom in fire ant is very reactive and cause skin bumps filled with clear fluids or blisters. The skin around the bite marks will cause severe irritation, itch, burning sensation and pain. Here are some of the common signs and symptoms of allergic reaction you can expect after ant leaves their sting inside your skin.
- Shortness of breath or trouble in breathing.
- Swelling of mouth and internal organs such throat and tongue.
- Problem in taking decision.
- Symptoms of Vertigo like dizziness.
- Slow cognitive reaction.
- Loss of understanding.
- Can’t figure out what’s happening around you.
Are you supposed to pop ant bites
When you are bitten by fire ants – they often cause swelling of skin. So should you pop these bumps caused due to ant bites? No, you should not try to squeeze them or pop them. Those bumps are caused due to excess of acid in your skin. Use of alkalizing element such as soap are the most easiest and best way to treat ant bites at home.
Popping those bites can increase the swelling and may lead to acute redness and pain. Hence, popping is not the best treatment to get rid of ant bites. You must use mild alkalizing ingredients which can reduce the amount of acid formed under your skin. It neutralizes the effect and shrink the size of bite bumps.
Conclusion on Home Remedies for Ant Bites
Most people have experienced ant bites once in their lifetime and it is important to differentiate the symptoms of common house red ant sting from fire or flying ant sting. These remedies are effective in providing relief from pain and swelling caused by their stings.
One must understand that scars or marks left after ant bite does not go away in 1 day. You will have to take proper care of your skin in order to make those marks vanish. Home remedies for ant bite will work differently on each individual. Some may get rid of bite swelling in 1 day and some can take up-to 2 weeks for complete recovery. If you are showing severe symptoms such as vertigo, confusion and acute pain then consult with a doctor. Otherwise, natural home treatments are effective enough to help you cure the symptoms at home.