Acid reflux symptoms such as heartburn, sour taste in mouth, chest discomfort can be solved with the help of probiotics. Many people suffer from GERD symptoms and they struggle to find the perfect solution. Yogurt for acid reflux is an old folk remedy which help cure heartburn and prevent sour stomach.
If you have to face acid reflux problem regularly, then it is hard to pop a pill all the time. Some stomach soothing recipes can help you ease the discomfort and sometimes they are right in your kitchen. Yogurt is very popular for its nutritional values, however, it is less known fact that it dilutes stomach acid and keeps your gut healthy.
It prevent burning of esophagus from strong stomach acid. Yogurt is also suitable treatment for chronic acid reflux.
Yogurt protect our body from trans-fat we eat through deep fried foods and snacks. Studies have shown that this fermented milk product can boost your immune system.
Can Yogurt Help With Acid Reflux
We know how tasty yogurt can be, but does it help with acid reflux symptoms? Yes it does, Probiotics are neutralizing agent which reduce the amount of acid reaction going on in stomach. It is also beneficial for keeping your esophagus in good health.
It contains live-active cultures which is healthy microorganism that keeps stomach and digestive system in good condition.
Yogurt can cure indigestion naturally, and we all know that problem in digestion is directly related to sour taste and acid reflux. It help break down food particles and promote healthy gut.
Probiotics are widely popular among nutritionist because eating yogurt can help you absorb nutrition much faster. It makes your meal complete by supplying the most out of every bite you eat.
In addition to all of the above benefits, it improve intestine movement that promote easy stool removal.
If you suffering from heartburn during pregnancy then this probiotic is the best solution. Eating yogurt during pregnancy is SAFE and healthy for both mother and child.
Due to all its health benefits, it keeps acid reflux down and protect your stomach from acidic damage. Probiotics are also helpful in soothing upset stomach and ease stomach acidity.
Yogurt is made from milk, so why not use milk to get relief from acid reflux symptoms? Both milk and yogurt have alkalizing properties that is essential for minimizing acidic burn in our food pipe. Milk is more like first stage medicine which does the trick but never cure the condition.
On the other hand, yogurt is filled with active-live culture which is often called as “Good Bacteria”. They are helpful in breaking down the colonies of bad bacteria and protect our health.
Yogurt diminishes the presence of gas in our digestive tract, while milk can create them during the process of digestion.
How To Choose The Best Yogurt For Treating Acid Reflux
There are so many yogurt brand to choose from, which one is the best to cure acid reflux at home?
You need to look at certain qualities or properties of yogurt. Here is the to do check list before buying yogurt for treating acid reflux.
- Pick one with low fat or fat free
- Avoid flavored yogurts as they contains sugar
- Use high probiotics, which contains active live cultures
How To Use Yogurt For Acid Reflux
There are many ways to use yogurt for acid reflux, however here are our favorite recipes:
1. Plain Unsweetened Yogurt
Sugar can irritate damaged esophagus that is why you should avoid articficial flavored food products during the episodes of heartburn. It contains healthy amount of good bacteria that affects the poor flora of our stomach and soothe any irritation.
- Take one bowl of plain yogurt.
- Mix some non acidic fruits such as berries or melon as natural sweetener.
- Eat such 2 cups to heal faster.
2. Greek Yogurt for Acid Reflux
It is widely used in cooking because of low fat content. Greek yogurt is perfect for calming down irritated esophagus. It help reduce heartburn and soothe sourness on mouth. This type of yogurt is perfect for treating acid reflux symptoms in early stage.
- Take 3 cups of low-fat Greek yogurt.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of grated ginger.
- 1 cup of raspberries and half cup of blueberries.
- Blend them together and eat it before going to bed.
- This will soothe the inner linings of food pipe and heal any tissue damage.
3. Yogurt and Cereals
Cereals are an amazing source of fiber which aids in digestion help reduce the problem of acid reflux. They are high in nutritional value and provide clean protein to our body which help make our muscle strong. This combination also provide relief from bloating.
- In half cup of plain yogurt mix your favorite cereals.
- Eat it daily for several day to manage chronic stomach condition.
4. Yogurt and Ginger
Ginger is an herb with soothing properties. It is widely used to cure indgestion and help in easy stool removal. It contains an active compound called gingerol, highly effective in reducing inflammation of esophagus. Its incendiary properties help in easy secretion of digestive juices.
- Take half cup of greek yogurt and mix 2 teaspoon of ginger.
- Whisk them until they are perfectly mixed together.
- Eat such two bowls of yogurt every day to get rid of acid reflux.
5. Yogurt and Blueberries
Blueberries are high in antioxidants and doctors suggest to include them in the diet if you are suffering from any gastric issues. It help release of gas from gastric pipe and prevent them from forming again. Adding blueberries to yogurt can reduce the recurrence of acid reflux.
- Wash one cup of blueberries to make sure there is no mites on it.
- Put them in a blender and add one cup of plain yogurt.
- Blend them together for 2 minutes.
- Drink this smoothie everyday in the morning.
6. Yogurt and Honey
Burning of esophasgus often leads to internal damage which causes ulceration and lesion on body. Honey is potent natural lubricant and antibacterial which is helpful in treating intestinal burns and prevent acid reflux.
It will also add the sweetness without increasing the risk of high sugar levels.
- You will need organic honey to avoid any additives.
- Mix 2 tablespoon of pure organic honey in 1 cup of greek yogurt.
- Mix them together and eat it regularly to treat acid reflux.
7. Yogurt and Flaxseed
Flaxseed is high in digestive fiber and it is observed that it reduces acid levels. People suffering from stomach acidity or heartburn can really benefit from flaxseed.
Mixing flax seed with active live cultures can calm down irritated stomach and help treat acid reflux naturally. Pregnant women should not use this remedy as flaxseed is considered NOT SAFE during pregnancy.
- Put half cup of plain yogurt in a blender.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and blend them together for 2 minutes.
- Drink this smoothie for several days until your condition improves.
8. Make Fruit Smoothie with Yogurt
We all love fruit juice and smoothies, ever thought of adding yogurt to the party? it will be tasty and creamy and definitely going to help you reduce symptoms of acid reflux. Fruits high in antioxidants are the perfect match for this smoothie. You can include berries such as raspberries or blueberries.
One can mix banana for its laxative properties to address the problem of constipation. There are many non citrus fruits which can help you in finding cure for acid reflux at home.
Here is our yogurt smoothie recipe:
You will need:
- 3 cups of plain unsweetened yogurt.
- 1/3 cup of unsalted roasted pistachios
- Half cup of fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 3 tablespoon of honey
How to make it:
- Put all the ingredients in a blender.
- Switch it on and blend it for 3 minutes at low speed setting.
- Collect them in a bowl and put it inside a refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Drink this chilled smoothie to help acid reflux problem.
No claims have ever made to avoid yogurt for acid reflux, however, it is important to understand that it helped many acid reflux patients. The confusion is caused because acid reflux can occur due to wide range of factors. Hence simple problems such as heartburn, acidity, gas formation can be improved by eating yogurt. One should also make sure to avoid acid reflux triggers to minimize the risk of suffering from it in the first place. It is important to address this issue as constant acid reflux is harmful for your throat and food pipe.