Turmeric milk or golden milk is an ancient Ayurvedic remedy for sore throats. Locally called haldi doodh in India, this drink also has a lot of other health benefits. It is claimed that it may benefit arthritis, fight skin infections, disorders, and allergies, boost the immune system, induce better sleep, reduce the impact of injuries to liver tissues, relieve headaches and menstrual cramps, improve reproductive health, and help in weight loss. This wonder drink is now being sold in hip cafes in the West and may even be seen with the name “turmeric latte”.
• 1 cup of milk
• ½ tsp turmeric powder
• ¼ tsp ground black pepper
• ¼ tsp ghee
This recipe takes about 5 minutes to make. Serves 1.
Pour milk into a small saucepan.
Boil over medium heat.
Add turmeric and mix.
Add pepper and ghee.
Mix and simmer for 1 minute.
Turn off heat.
Pour milk into another saucepan then pour the milk back into the same saucepan where you cooked it.
Repeat this procedure 3 to 4 times to cool the milk down and make it frothy.
Pour the milk into a glass and serve.
Ideas And Tips:
You may use almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, soy milk or rice milk.
• If ghee is not available in your area, you may use coconut oil.
• If you are using raw turmeric root, you will need to boil it in the milk for about 10 to 15 minutes. You may also use 1 tsp of juice from turmeric root.
• Other spices which you can add are cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg.
• If you want to make the drink sweet, you may add honey or maple syrup.