Apples are among the most popular types of fruit in the world.
- The science of apple growing is called pomology.
- Apples are members of the rose family.
- The largest apple ever picked weighed 3 lbs. (1.4 kg).
- Apples have five seed pockets or carpels. Each pocket contains seeds. The vigor and health of the plant determines the number of seeds per carpel. Different varieties of apples have a different number of seeds.
- Apples ripen six to 10 times faster at room temperature than when refrigerated.