Despite the fact that cold and cough are some of the most harmless diseases, they cause a lot of inconveniences. Cough prevents us focusing and irritates the others. And even if we manage to deal with it during the day, during the night it becomes a real nuisance.
Children are those who suffer often from cold and cough, because their immunity is not strong enough to fight off viruses.
It would seem that a cough syrup is the perfect solution, but most of these pharmaceuticals are just blocking the receptors that transmit signals to the brain that our body needs to cough. Such syrups usually contain codeine and dextromethorphan, which are the main ingredients that fight cough, but they cause certain side effects such as drowsiness, headache and tachycardia.
Our editorial staff recommends a natural compress with ginger and honey.
Honey is widely used for treating lots of health problems. It can also be used to treat cough because it removes mucus from the lungs. Ginger is also an effective fighter for many diseases, especially due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- olive oil
- a paper napkin
- first aid patches
- Mix the flour with chopped ginger and a little honey, so you get the right mix for the compress – that does not stick to your hands.
- Add a little olive oil, sprinkle flour on the table and roll the resulted mixture using the rolling pin.
- Place the flattened dough on a napkin and wrap it in gauze.
- Apply the compress to the child’s chest or back using first aid patches, then dress them in pajamas.
- Children should keep this compress for 2-3 hours before bedtime. Adults can keep the compress overnight.
- Keep in mind that the body will sweat profusely while this compress is applied. This method has no side effects. Just make sure the skin doesn’t get irritated because of the compress.
- If you follow the procedure strictly, this compress will ensure a good night sleep for your child.
- Pin this recipe if you find it useful!